My favourite TED talk used to be ‘Benjamin Zander on Music and Passion’ (a.k.a. classical music with shining eyes).
It is now Chimamanda Adichie taking about ‘The Danger of a Single Story’:
You can find out more about Adichie on her Wikipedia page.
How Not To Write About Africa
Speaking of the “single story of Africa”, you must also watch Binyavanga Wainaina’s ‘How Not to Write About Africa’:
You can find out more about Wainaina on his Wikipedia page.
A Message for Peace From Pakistan
Continuing with the single-story theme, check out Asher Hasan’s short TED talk called ‘A Message of Peace from Pakistan’:
More Pakistani Stories
This is why blogs such as these – which are written about Pakistan or by Pakistanis – are so important because they tell you much more about this country and its people than what you would normally hear, see, or read via global media outlets:
- Pakistaniat (a.k.a. All Things Pakistan)
- Metblogs: Islamabad, Karachi, Lahore
- Well Pitched
For many more Pakistan-related blogs, take a look at these lists:
- Pakistani Bloggers on PakPositive (or just go to the full list of bloggers)
- NetworkedBlogs – Pakistan (which is, technically, the 50 most popular blogs among Pakistanis based on data collected from the NetworkedBlogs Facebook application)
- Mosharraf Zaidi (great blog and a good list of other blogs on his list of links)