To build this Reputation Rankings they surveyed an invite-only list of over 13,000 academics from around the world. The opinion of those academics suggests that six universities (or ‘super brands’, as they are being called) have, by far, the best reputation. These are:
- Harvard University – 100.0%
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology – 85.0%
- University of Cambridge – 80.7%
- University of California Berkeley – 74.7%
- Stanford University – 71.5%
- University of Oxford – 68.6%
The rest received a score of under 40%.
Reputation matters quite a bit in academics but these rankings don’t come as a surprise (certainly not for the top 20 or so). Though, really, once you go below #9 or #12 on this list (both of which are followed by noticeable drops in percentage points) it doesn’t matter as much which university you are associated with. Unless you’re looking for rankings by subject or region, of course, in which case the picture might change a bit.
You can read more about these new reputation rankings here: